Sunday, April 18, 2010

My heart

I haven't been as vulnerable on this blog as I would like to be, but I'm going to be today. Our family has been greatly affected by loss this year and I think it would be an injustice not to share it. I heard this song at church this morning and I can't stop thinking about it.

God loves a lullaby
In a mother's tears in the dead of night
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes.
God loves the drunkards cry,
The soldiers plea not to let him die
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes.

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah.

The woman holding on for life,
The dying man giving up the fight
Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes
The tears of shame for what's been done,
The silence when the words won't come
Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes.

Better than a church bell ringing,
Better than a choir singing out,

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah.


God I pray that my cries of pain and disappointment and frustration are a beautiful melody, that the sound of the broken heart of your child somehow becomes a song that will bring you honor and glory. Use my honesty and my vulnerability for Your Kingdom, so that my suffering will not be in vain.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh Janna this is so beautiful--is this the Meredith Andrews song? Never heard it but amazing. Love yall so much.

Janna said...

It's actually an Amy Grant song...weird huh? The Meredith Andrews one is amazing too...maybe I'll post that one soon